spot_img
12.6 C
Miami
HomeUncategorizedWashington reacts to reports of the alleged capture of two US mercenaries...

Washington reacts to reports of the alleged capture of two US mercenaries during fighting in Ukraine

Published:

Alexander Drueke and Andy Huynh would have been taken prisoner by Russian forces after an intense clash last Thursday in the town of Izbytske, 48 kilometers northeast of Kharkov.

Washington has reacted to reports of the alleged capture of two American mercenaries who were participating in the fighting in Donbass on the Ukrainian side.

“We are aware of unconfirmed reports of the capture of two citizens Americans in Ukraine. We are closely monitoring the situation and are in contact with the Ukrainian authorities, as well as with the International Committee of the Red Cross and the relatives of the two missing American citizens,” indicated this Thursday at a press conference the spokesman for the US Department of State, Ned Price.

The two Americans, identified by The Telegraph as Alexander Drueke, 39, and Andy Huynh, 27, would have been taken as prisoners after an intense confrontation last Thursday in the town of Izbytske, 48 kilometers northeast of Kharkov, according to the testimony of a colleague of the two men, under condition of anonymity.

Drueke, a native of Tuscaloosa, Alabama, served in Iraq as a first sergeant in the US Army after the 9/11 attacks. Huynh, for his part, is originally from California and served 4 years in the Marines , though he had no prior combat experience. Before traveling to Ukraine as a mercenary, he studied robotics at the university.

For his part, the leader of the Donetsk People’s Republic, Denís Pushílin, has said that he has information about the captivity of the two former US military officers who were allegedly captured near Kharkov. “So far I don’t have that information, I can’t comment on anything,” Pushílin told Interfax this Thursday.

Likewise, at the moment Russia has not confirmed any information related to the subject.

Similarly, A third American who traveled to Ukraine to fight Russia has reportedly disappeared in recent weeks, and the State Department confirmed that it is also aware of the situation: “There are reports of an additional American whose whereabouts are unknown. I cannot discuss the details.” of that case. Unfortunately, we don’t know all the details of that case,” Price clarified.

If the reports are true, these fighters would become the first Americans in being taken prisoner in the Ukraine conflict, and will join a growing large number of international mercenaries who responded to the call from kyiv and were captured in combat, including the British Aiden Aslin, Shaun Pinner Y Andrew Hill.

Last week, Aslin and Pinner, together with the Moroccan Saadun Braguim, they were sentenced to death penalty by the Supreme Court of the Donetsk People’s Republic. The defendants pleaded guilty to acts aimed at seizing power by force, which provides for the death penalty. Aslin also pleaded guilty to training for the purpose of terrorist activity.

spot_img

latest articles

explore more

error: Content is protected !!