Anthony Rapp claimed that the actor tried to seduce him and touched him inappropriately when he was a teenager.
The actor Kevin Spacey has been acquitted this Thursday by a jury of the Federal Court of Manhattan in the framework of a civil suit for 40 million dollars, presented by actor Anthony Rapp for damages. The complainant claimed that the Hollywood star tried to seduce him and touched him inappropriately after a party at his Manhattan apartment in 1960, when he was a teenager. The jury found that the plaintiff had failed to prove his allegations and dismissed the lawsuit, reports The New York Post.
During the 3-week trial, which began on October 6, the star’s lawyers argued that Rapp was a disgruntled actor who blamed Spacey for every bump in his career and personal life. Spacey’s attorney, Jennifer Keller, told the jury that Rapp came up with a “false” story as a teenager, then repeated it for the next 3 decades whenever he saw Spacey rise as a star by winning an Oscar or hosting an award show.
However, the attorney Rapp’s Richard Steigman said his client had been honest in his claims. “The simple truth here is: this happened, he shared it, and after all this time, came here to share that truth with you,” Steigman argued before the jury. At the end of the trial, Spacey made no statement as he left the courthouse