25.8 C
HomeUncategorizedA minor dies after being infected with a 'brain-eating' amoeba in the...

A minor dies after being infected with a 'brain-eating' amoeba in the largest reservoir in the US


The National Park Service said this was the first confirmed death from Naegleria fowleri exposure in the Lake Mead National Recreation Area.

A young man recently died from an infection caused by the amoeba ‘Naegleria fowleri’ while bathing in Lake Mead, the largest artificial reservoir in the US, located between the states of Nevada and Arizona, reported this Wednesday the Southern Nevada Health District (SNHP).

According to the investigation, the victim may have been exposed to the microorganism earlier this month after visiting a recreational area on the Arizona side of the lake and “began developing symptoms about a week later.” His name, exact age and date of death were not disclosed. It was only detailed that he was a “under 18 years”, a resident of Clark County, Nevada.

The Centers for Disease Control and US Disease Prevention (CDC) confirmed that the amoeba was the cause of the patient’s illness, the SNHP noted. In this regard, the National Park Service said that this was the first confirmed death due to exposure to the microbe ‘Naegleria fowleri’ in the Area Lake Mead National Recreational, collected by local media.

Crean en EE.UU. una nueva cepa del coronavirus que causa un 80% de mortalidad en ratones

Dr. María Said, an official from the US Public Health Service, reported that recreational swimming will continue to be allowed in the area, since the amoeba exists naturally and is common in the environment. However, he warned that users should always assume that “there is a risk every time they enter warm fresh water”, even though the illness caused by the pathogen is “extremely rare”.

According to the CDC, the amoeba ‘Naegleria fowleri’, popularly known as ‘brain-eating amoeba’

, can cause primary amoebic meningoencephalitis , a fatal disease in most cases because it is usually diagnosed late, given the similarity of its symptoms with those of the Bacterial meningitis.

The infection begins when the amoeba enters the body through the nose, when people swim or dive in warm freshwater sites, such as lakes and rivers. Initially causes headache, fever and nausea or vomiting. Once lodged in the brain, the microorganism begins to destroy brain tissue, producing stiff neck and seizures until the infected person falls into a coma. With the onset of symptoms, the ailment progresses rapidly and usually causes death within about five days.


latest articles

explore more

error: Content is protected !!